Question about exporting database...

General discussion of PokerTracker 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Question about exporting database...

Postby JCesana » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:55 pm

I need to reformat my computer, and I'm backing up my files to a portable hard drive. How do I backup my database into a file so I can have it for later? What steps do I take? Thanks...

-J
JCesana
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:30 am

Re: Question about exporting database...

Postby _dave_ » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:57 pm

pg_dumpall command will produce a backup of the entirety of all PostgreSQL databases (use the pg_restore command to rebuild them) - the link escapes me, there are links to the official documents / instructions in my posts in the postgres forum here :)
_dave_
 
Posts: 1147
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:19 pm

Re: Question about exporting database...

Postby JCesana » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:01 am

Umm I didn't understand a word you just said...
JCesana
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:30 am

Re: Question about exporting database...

Postby _dave_ » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:28 am

Sorry, try reading this thread (and the linked pages)

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1863

In short - your PokerTracker3 stors iot's information in a PostgreSQL database. This database is unreadable to a normal person.

If you want to make a backup, you must use the pg_dump (or pg_dumpall) utility, then save the result elsewhere while you format.

Alternatively, you can export the hand history files using PT3's export function, or simply keep the HH files you import in a safe location - then after format, rebuild the database from those HH files.

It would be far quicker to dump//restore the database files, however.
_dave_
 
Posts: 1147
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:19 pm

Re: Question about exporting database...

Postby JCesana » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:42 am

Oh sorry... I have the older PT... version 2 I think. Should I just export the hands to files and then just re-import them to my new pokertracker?

I just exported them and there were some errors for a few dozen "games" that could not be exported.. are these tourny's? I don't care if they are, I just want all cash...

Thanks again.
JCesana
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:30 am

Re: Question about exporting database...

Postby _dave_ » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:47 am

AH, that sorta explains things :)

PT2 support is here: viewforum.php?f=26
(same website, different sub-forum)

I'd suggest your re-post in there for a definitive answer.

DEpending on how many hanbds you have in your database, I would not likely be concerned about a "few dozen" export errors - chances are that is a tiny fraction of the games you have played, those are most likely individual hands.
_dave_
 
Posts: 1147
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:19 pm

Re: Question about exporting database...

Postby JCesana » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:54 am

OK thanks a lot.
JCesana
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:30 am


Return to General [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests