exporting database to a different software

Forum for users that want to write their own custom queries against the PT database either via the Structured Query Language (SQL) or using the PT3 custom stats/reports interface.

Moderator: Moderators

exporting database to a different software

Postby onaleeps » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:47 pm

First, a simple question. How can I get a variance, or standard deviation of a statistic, such as BB/hand?

More fundamentally, I like the custom stats and reports for some things. But what I'd like to do is to just export the whole database, all the tables in it, to a format that I can read into another statistical software that I'm comfortable with like R or SAS. Even if I could just export it to Access, that would work, because from there I can convert the tables into any format I want. Can you help me with this?

Thank you.
onaleeps
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:54 am

Re: exporting database to a different software

Postby kraada » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:22 pm

Variance and Standard Deviation are not default statistics at this point, though they will be added.

If you want to export a report, you can click the little four arrows icon at the top right of the report and then click Export and it'll export to CSV.

Your database is in PostgreSQL; I don't know those pieces of statistical software, but they might have PostgreSQL interfaces.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: exporting database to a different software

Postby onaleeps » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:53 pm

Can you help me to export the tables from PostgreSQL into any other format - Access, excel, even a whole slew of comma delineated text files would be o.k.?

Yes, I can do as you suggest and export a report. But it would be convenient if I could just export everything at a go. I don't know what PostgreSQL is or how to browse a table directly (not through PT software).

Thank you.
onaleeps
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:54 am

Re: exporting database to a different software

Postby kraada » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:13 pm

You can export the tables via PGAdminIII, but I'm not sure what data you're looking for here; things like VP$IP (for example) aren't stored in the database, they're calculated as needed, so exporting the database won't be that useful.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY


Return to Custom Stats, Reports, and SQL [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests