Page 1 of 1

Apparent Discrepancies in PAH/Pt Continuation Bet %

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:14 pm
by PoorNapoleon
I'm probably missing something simple, but the continuation bet percentages diplayed by PAH don't quite seem to match the percentages I calculate independently from PT stats using the numbers from the "First Action on the Flop After a Pre-flop Raise" section of the "more detail" window in ring game player statistics. Specifically, I take the number of times a player bets after raising preflop and divide it by the quantity of [the number of flops a player sees after raising preflop minus (the sum of the number of times he folds, calls and raises)]. The PAH continuation bet percentages consistently run a few percent points higher than the percentages I get.

Re: Apparent Discrepancies in PAH/Pt Continuation Bet %

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:50 am
by APerfect10
You are missing one scenario, where the pre-flop raiser continuation bets the flop, gets raised, and folds. In your calculation, this is not being counted as a continuation bet which would explain why your numbers are slightly lower than what PokerAce Hud is displaying.

Best regards,

Derek

Re: Apparent Discrepancies in PAH/Pt Continuation Bet %

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:47 pm
by PoorNapoleon
Since in the scenario you describe the "first action on flop after a preflop raise" would be a bet, I'm confused about why my calculations wouldn't count that as a continuation bet. Is the "First Action on Flop After A Pre-flop Raise" section of the "more detail" window misnamed?

Re: Apparent Discrepancies in PAH/Pt Continuation Bet %

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:31 pm
by APerfect10
Looking back at your formula, you are missing the continuation bet opportunity when the PFR checks the flop.

Even if you factor that in, I still do not think the numbers will add up exactly. I know that there is a scenario (cbet opportunity) which PokerTracker simply is not listing or cannot account for and the PokerAce Hud value is more accurate although not 100% accurate (more in the ballpark of 99%). It's the best that we can do given the design of the PT2 database; fwiw, this has been resolved in PT3.

Best regards,

Derek

Re: Apparent Discrepancies in PAH/Pt Continuation Bet %

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:35 pm
by PoorNapoleon
The times the PFR checks is not explicity listed in the formula because that number is the difference between the number of times the PFR has the opportunity to bet (the denominator) and the number of times he actually does bet (the numerator) and is the reason that the percentage is virtually always less than 100. This is apparently a, fortunately fairly trivial, mystery which will remain so. I will just use the PAH numbers to calibrate my layout until the PT3 release. I appreciate your taking the time to answer during what must be a pretty hectic transitional period.