Page 1 of 2

Your database is slowing down

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:50 am
by POKERPOKER000
Hi team,

Every time I run PT4, there's always a pop up like that. I have already done the housekeeping several times, but it keeps showing up.

Re: Your database is slowing down

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:34 am
by Flag_Hippo
If the housekeeping did not resolve that then please turn on 'Enable Logging' in PokerTracker 4 via 'Configure -> Options' and then restart PokerTracker 4. When the popup appears again create a support bundle via the 'File -> Create Support Bundle' menu option in PokerTracker 4 and then attach that to a Support Ticket where a technician can review your logs and advise you accordingly.

Re: Your database is slowing down

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:40 am
by glowacz
POKERPOKER000 wrote:Every time I run PT4, there's always a pop up like that. I have already done the housekeeping several times, but it keeps showing up.


To anyone who has this problem, I suggest a TEMPORARY solution. Go back to PostgreSQL version 12. I suggest adding such a suggestion in the release notes.

In my case, in addition to the above message, the problem was a dramatic slowdown of the database. PostgreSQL was constantly under 100% load, both during manual import of hands and automatic import while playing. So much so, that importing one hand while playing took several (dozen) seconds and caused the HUD to not display on more than 1 table and/or not update the stats.

I upgraded PostgreSQL from version 9.6, which ran very decently on my old laptop with Win10, 16GB RAM and a weak SSD, despite many client stats and NoteTracker conditions.

To get to this solution, I lost several hours, testing different solutions one by one: playing trial sessions, doing trial imports, manually maintaining the database many times, creating sample databases to which I re-imported sample of hands (this took the most time), doing database backups and restoring them, cutting client statistics/columns, client HUDs, client conditions from NoteTracker, and finally installing a clean version of PT4, and.... all I had to do was go back (new installation in my case, since I was moving from version 9.6) to PostgreSQL 12.

The plus side of this whole situation is that I now have a fresh clear database created from re-imported hands and fresh clear PT4 installation :lol:

Re: Your database is slowing down

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:53 pm
by sup3rnova
glowacz wrote:
POKERPOKER000 wrote:Every time I run PT4, there's always a pop up like that. I have already done the housekeeping several times, but it keeps showing up.


To anyone who has this problem, I suggest a TEMPORARY solution. Go back to PostgreSQL version 12. I suggest adding such a suggestion in the release notes.

In my case, in addition to the above message, the problem was a dramatic slowdown of the database. PostgreSQL was constantly under 100% load, both during manual import of hands and automatic import while playing. So much so, that importing one hand while playing took several (dozen) seconds and caused the HUD to not display on more than 1 table and/or not update the stats.

I upgraded PostgreSQL from version 9.6, which ran very decently on my old laptop with Win10, 16GB RAM and a weak SSD, despite many client stats and NoteTracker conditions.

To get to this solution, I lost several hours, testing different solutions one by one: playing trial sessions, doing trial imports, manually maintaining the database many times, creating sample databases to which I re-imported sample of hands (this took the most time), doing database backups and restoring them, cutting client statistics/columns, client HUDs, client conditions from NoteTracker, and finally installing a clean version of PT4, and.... all I had to do was go back (new installation in my case, since I was moving from version 9.6) to PostgreSQL 12.

The plus side of this whole situation is that I now have a fresh clear database created from re-imported hands and fresh clear PT4 installation :lol:


Which PT4 version are you running now?

Re: Your database is slowing down

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:51 am
by glowacz
sup3rnova wrote:Which PT4 version are you running now?


Always the latest version.

I don't remember PT4 ever doing any problems/bugs that over the years of using it I wouldn't solve.

Unfortunately, it was different with PosgreSQL, which failed me, also after many years of trouble-free use, still on Win7 and older computers.

Re: Your database is slowing down

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:29 am
by Tahion
I have a similar problem. I upgraded from 9.6 to PostgreSQL 16.3-2. Each hand is recorded in the database very slowly during the gaming session and seems to be imported with a delay in a queue. There was no such issue on version 9.6.
Can I install Postgre v12 without removing 16? Will I need to specify a different port during the installation of version 12?

Re: Your database is slowing down

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:47 pm
by Flag_Hippo
Tahion wrote:Can I install Postgre v12 without removing 16? Will I need to specify a different port during the installation of version 12?

Yes you can. If your PostgreSQL v16 install is using port 5432 then a v12 install should default to the next available port (usually 5433) or you can specify your own.

Re: Your database is slowing down

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 8:28 am
by Brauni_22
Not sure if this belongs here, but is it necessary to update postgreSQL from 12.15 to 16?
If so, do i have to deinstall the old 12.15 one first?
You have to choose a package for the installation in stack builder, can you just choose any package or does it have to be a specific one?

Ty very much guys!

Re: Your database is slowing down

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 1:09 pm
by Flag_Hippo
Brauni_22 wrote:is it necessary to update postgreSQL from 12.15 to 16?

It is not mandatory. The current minimum requirement for PokerTracker 4 is PostgreSQL v9.3:

https://www.pokertracker.com/faq/pt4#Mi ... quirements
Brauni_22 wrote:If so, do i have to deinstall the old 12.15 one first?

If you decide to install PostgreSQL v16 you can uninstall PostgreSQL v12 first or you can install PostgreSQL v16 in addition to PostgreSQL v12.
Brauni_22 wrote:You have to choose a package for the installation in stack builder, can you just choose any package or does it have to be a specific one?

You can de-select the 'StackBuilder' option when installing PostgreSQL. We have a guide for upgrading here:

https://www.pokertracker.com/guides/PT4 ... ostgresql#

Re: Your database is slowing down

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2024 11:24 am
by bewaremaggot
This is also happening to me, latest pt4 and postgres 16. I don't want to install a lower version of postgres, but there's still no fix for this, right? :cry: