Restored Time Machine Backup and Can't Access DB

A special forum dedicated to our PT4 for Mac OS X users

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Re: Restored Time Machine Backup and Can't Access DB

Postby kraada » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:45 am

The good news is that PG_VERSION is a simple text file that just tells you the PostgreSQL version - if it's 9.3 you can just create a text file that contains the text "9.3" (without the quotes) on one line. Of course, that may not be all that's missing but it's very easy to recreate.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: Restored Time Machine Backup and Can't Access DB

Postby dastingerpt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 am

Created a plain text file with the text 9.3, moved it to Library/PostgreSQL/9.3/data/base/17426, made user postgres the owner, removed everyone else and reverted the changes on the folders. Still the same error on pgAdmin and PokerTracker still doesn't let me select the DB.
dastingerpt
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Restored Time Machine Backup and Can't Access DB

Postby dastingerpt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:32 am

Maanged to copy the file from another DB and now it's saying that the file which is missing is 'pg_filenode.map'. I guess this will be endless. Also, copying that file from another DB doesn't work.
dastingerpt
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Restored Time Machine Backup and Can't Access DB

Postby kraada » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:39 am

No, that one is going to be database specific. Sometimes it happens that everything is there but for a few files or empty folders.

Do you have your original hand histories in the PT4 Processed folder? If so the easiest thing might just be to uninstall PostgreSQL, delete the data folder, reinstall it and reimport your hands.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: Restored Time Machine Backup and Can't Access DB

Postby dastingerpt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:44 am

I don't have all my hands available but, fortunately, I have a backup from December that I kept just in case and every hand I played since then is available so I guess I'll reinstall postgreSQL so all my DBs are deleted and then restore that one in particular and import the hands played since the backup date.

That should work, right?
dastingerpt
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Restored Time Machine Backup and Can't Access DB

Postby kraada » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:49 am

That will work and will almost certainly be the easiest route for you. You can find our uninstall/reinstall guide for PostgreSQL on OS X here.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: Restored Time Machine Backup and Can't Access DB

Postby dastingerpt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:55 am

I didn't need to uninstall PostgreSQL. Tried to delete the DB on PT4 using the DB Management window and it worked. Disk space was restored so everything is gone.

I'm now restoring but have a question. Should I restore the processed hands? It gives me that option but I just want the DB itself containing all the hands, not the files occupying even more space. Also, I have PT4 moving all the processed files into a Dropbox folder but there is a folder under Documents called PT4 that has some older hands. I'll try importing them after the restore is complete. In case they're duplicates, PT4 will ignore the files and not import them, right? After that, I'm safe deleting them? It's 600MB but every bit of space on a SSD makes a big difference.
dastingerpt
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Restored Time Machine Backup and Can't Access DB

Postby kraada » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:46 am

If you have all of the newer hands on disk you don't need to restore the older processed files - the only good reason I can think to restore them is so that after you finish everything and you take a new backup (you were planning on taking a new backup, right?) you'll have those in that backup too.

If you attempt to import files you've imported previously PT4 will recognize that they are duplicates and it won't be a problem (they also go much faster than actual imorts).
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: Restored Time Machine Backup and Can't Access DB

Postby dastingerpt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:52 am

OK, I opted not to restore the processed files and ended up deleting the PokerTracker folder under Documents since it was a duplicate from the Dropbox one. Yes, I'm doing a new backup as soon as this process is finished. I already restored the DB and am now importing the new hands into it.

I'll let you know how it went later.

Thank you so much for your help. Next time I'll just make a backup before messing with the OS. Lesson learned.
dastingerpt
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Restored Time Machine Backup and Can't Access DB

Postby dastingerpt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:50 pm

Just finished importing all the hands and everything seems into place.

Again, thank you so much for your help. Great support as always!
dastingerpt
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Previous

Return to PT4 for macOS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests