Page 1 of 2
Can't get PT4 to install

Posted:
Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:44 am
by macgeof
Hi,
First off let me say I have raised a support ticket with the below, but thought I'd post here in case someone else can help me fix the problem - and help future users who may have the same issue.
I'm wanting to test out PT4 on my Mac running OSX 10.8.3 - I cannot get past the first step of installation. I have downloaded PT4, dropped it into my applications folder and opened it - either by dbl-clicking icon, or by right-clicking and selecting open (to allow me to tell OSX to let the application run as I didn't get the file from the Mac AppStore nor are you an identified developer - in fact even if I change to allow any application to run in System preferences -> security) I get a dialog informing me that PT4 has detected a permissions problem that it can try and repair. Click OK and then provide an admin password to let PT4 do it's stuff, I then get presented with another dialog which says that it cannot continue as it cannot fix the problem. Even after running disk utility from a separate partition to try and fix permission/disk error (which it didn't find any of anyway) I get the same outcome.
Any suggestions?
System info:
Mac Mini : Intel Core2Duo 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.8.3
Thanks in advance
Re: Can't get PT4 to install

Posted:
Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:52 am
by macgeof
Oh thought I'd add, just tried the same thing on a different Mac - MacBook Air i5 1.7GHz, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.8.3 - and same problem. So it seems to me that it's not specific to the machine described in my post above, presumably some aspect of OSX 10.8.3 maybe?
Re: Can't get PT4 to install

Posted:
Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:45 am
by HU87165
Same here... :X
Re: Can't get PT4 to install

Posted:
Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:51 am
by kraada
The permissions for /Users/Shared/Library/Preferences must be changed to 777, this is the reason why PokerTracker 4 is showing that error message, we need to be able to create the user data folder, but we cannot do this unless your permissions folded allows us to do so.
Follow these simple instructions:
1) Quit PT4
2) Open the terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal) and type sudo chmod 777 /Users/Shared/Library/Preferences. You may need to enter your administration password when you do this. When this is complete you can quit the terminal.
3) Restart PokerTracker 4.
It's my understanding this folder should exist by default - if it doesn't you'll get an error in (2) if it doesn't exist, then running this will create it:
sudo mkdir /Users/Shared/Library/Preferences
Then run the command in (2).
Re: Can't get PT4 to install

Posted:
Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:07 am
by macgeof
Thanks kraada :)
Actually, your assumption that the Preferences folder exists by default at that location is incorrect. It doesn't. So, for me I just had to create the folder manually via the Finder, and then all was well and PT4 installed fine. No need to run the terminal commands at all - I am fine with running terminal commands but just wanted to test it out for myself. Yes I did have to give an admin password to create the folder in the first place, but no I didn't need to modify any permissions anywhere.
All sorted, for me at least. Thanks for the reply
Re: Can't get PT4 to install

Posted:
Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:14 pm
by kraada
It should exist for most OS X installations - either way I'm glad to hear things are working for you now.
Re: Can't get PT4 to install

Posted:
Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:36 pm
by johnnykakes
macgeof wrote:Thanks kraada :)
Actually, your assumption that the Preferences folder exists by default at that location is incorrect. It doesn't. So, for me I just had to create the folder manually via the Finder, and then all was well and PT4 installed fine. No need to run the terminal commands at all - I am fine with running terminal commands but just wanted to test it out for myself. Yes I did have to give an admin password to create the folder in the first place, but no I didn't need to modify any permissions anywhere.
All sorted, for me at least. Thanks for the reply
where do you put the folder?
Re: Can't get PT4 to install

Posted:
Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:36 am
by macgeof
johnnykakes wrote:where do you put the folder?
I created a folder named 'Preferences' (minus quotes) in the /Users/Shared/Library folder. That was all that was required to allow PT4 to install and function as expected. The Finder made me give an admin authentication in order to be able to create the folder btw.
HTH
Re: Can't get PT4 to install

Posted:
Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:02 am
by WhiteRider
Follow these directions:
The permissions for /Users/Shared/Library/Preferences must be changed to 777, this is the reason why PokerTracker 4 is showing that error message, we need to be able to create the user data folder, but we cannot do this unless your permissions folded allows us to do so.
Follow these simple instructions:
1) Quit PT4
2) Open the terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal) and type sudo chmod 777 /Users/Shared/Library/Preferences. You may need to enter your administration password when you do this. When this is complete you can quit the terminal.
3) Restart PokerTracker 4.
It's my understanding this folder should exist by default - if it doesn't you'll get an error in (2) if it doesn't exist, then running this will create it:
sudo mkdir /Users/Shared/Library/Preferences
Then run the command in (2).
Re: Can't get PT4 to install

Posted:
Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:04 pm
by johnnykakes
tried to create my own folder and got the same result..... Tried the terminal thing. Same result. Hell i even tried to start my own thread about this and that got deleted for some reason. So i guess i'll just stick with poker tracker 3 until the mods can learn to speak to me like I am a poker player and not a software designer